Multiparametric portable optical system for counting and/or analysing organic (microorganisms) and inorganic suprananometric particles
CSIC has developed a portable photonic analysis system for single/multi-parameter measurement by combining a disposable microoptofluidic system coupled to a broadband light source and a spectral readout setup. It can be used for counting and analysis (with or without labelling) of either organic (microorganisms) or inorganic suprananometric particles. We are looking for companies to license the patent and collaborate in the development of applications.
A patent licence offer
Micro-opto-fluidics detection system with disposable cell
This technology consists of a "real-time" single/multiparametric optical detection system.
The device, which can be manufactured with microelectronic or polymer technology, comprises a disposable cell, in which we can simultaneously determine the optical properties of the liquid and the suspended suprananometric particles. In the device there is a photonic system based on multiple internal reflection that lengthens the light path, therefore enhancing the sensitivity.
The light used has a broadband spectra, which allows determining several optical properties at different wavelengths. Therefore, different parameters in a single measure can be detected. This analysis is achieved by measuring the light beam after its interaction with the fluid, simultaneously detection the absorption and the scattering bands by using a portable spectrometer.
Micro-fluidics cells with integrated MIR
(Multiple Internal Reflection) device.
The detection system can simultaneously measure several parameters of the sample, both those related to the nature of fluid and/or the supananometric particles so it can advantageously replace spectrophotometers, ELISA readers , flow cytometry equipment ...
Main applications and advantages
- Parameters can be determined in milliseconds and simultaneously by the three regimens used for analysis, detection and counting of particles: scattering, absorption and scattering + absorption. This allows obtaining the photonic fingerprint of the particles and deploys new detection systems and real-time analysis.
- The use of multiple internal reflection principles allows a smaller device size and higher sensitivity, making it easily transportable.
- Internal cell is disposable, which is very suitable for toxic samples.
- Improved accuracy for counting particles (including cells) than Neubauer Chamber without repeating measures.
- Faster than flow cytometry and without complex and expensive equipment requirements.
European and USA patent applied for
Mr. Ferran Vera Gras
Instituto de Microelectrónica de Barcelona
Vicepresidencia Adjunta de Transferencia de Conocimiento
Tel.: +34 – 93 594 77 00
Fax: +34 – 93 580 14 96